Navigating AZAD’s Official Online Resources
AZAD Webmaster and Docent, Little Rock Zoo
Little Rock, AR
This presentation will be in a roundtable format. While we will discuss using AZAD online resources, the conversation will center on what the audience wants to know and the discussion will be shaped by participation. Because of this, only a general summary of resources will be submitted for the conference proceedings book.
AZAD online resources consist of two main components: the AZAD social media resources and the AZAD website. Our website, http://azadocents.org, has links to all of these resources.
- • Facebook: The premiere online community for AZAD is our Facebook group. It is linked to our main website via a large Facebook logo. On the Facebook group, docents play fun games like “guess the animal,” share approved news from member facilities, make travel plans and chat together. All postings must followthe AZAD Publications Guidelines and publication guidelines at involved member zoos. Non-AZAD members may join the Facebook page, but you must be a Facebook member to use the Facebook group. The Facebook group is monitored by members of the board, the webmaster and two nominated Facebook monitors. You may view the AZAD Publication Guidelines on the website. Please check with your individual facilities for social media policies pertaining to your member zoo.
- Flickr: Our other popular social media community is the AZAD Flickr stream.The AZAD Flickr stream is featured on the right hand side of the homepage and many subpages of our website. You may post photographs from member or non-member zoos. Please remember to check with your individual facilities for social media policies pertaining to your member zoo before sharing photographs of new exhibits or behind the scenes areas. Non-AZAD members may post and view the Flickr stream, but you must be a Flickr member to use it.
- Twitter: AZAD can be found on Twitter @AZADocents. The Twitter is currently just the website updates and it is not updated often, however it is available as a convenience for those who would like to receive updates via Twitter.
The AZAD website is laid out to bring current information to your attention first. Featured news is on the front page. Featured news includes conference updates, travel and any news from the board. The front page of the website has links to our social media resources and a tag cloud of keywords which lead to AZAD conference articles and information pertaining to that keyword.
Other features found on many of the pages include a search (top right corner), an email update list, that will send you an email anytime an update is added to the webpage, and a fun monthly feature.
The tabs at the top of the AZAD website give you access to various sections of the website. Tabs featuring a carot have multiple sections that can be reached by holding your cursor over the tab.
- About AZAD: About AZAD gives you information about the organization, including tabs with our mission statement, bylaws, history, a list of participating zoos and the results of the 2011 Extension Survey. The extension survey gives details on various docent programs around the country.
- Join AZAD: This tab features information about joining AZAD, including membership forms and membership brochures. You will also find AZAD merchandise forms.
- Travel with AZAD: The travel tab is where you can find information on our latest trips. There are a few reviews and photos from past trips on the main tab. Information on upcoming trips is also found as a menu item.
- Symbiosis: You can download a sample of Symbiosis, the AZAD newsletter, and learn more about Symbiosis at the Symbiosis tab. The index of past Symbiosis article is also available here. You can not download current issues of Symbiosis or back issues here. Symbiosis is a member benefit, and the address to download Symbiosis and back issues is only available to members. That link is sent to member emails when every issue is published.
- Important Files: Here you can find almost any form you want from AZAD, and some informational pieces that are also available elsewhere. For example, the membership forms, extension survey and membership brochures are all available here. This is meant to be one-stop shopping for AZAD forms and printable info.
- AZAD Conferences: Information on upcoming conferences can be found here. There is also info on what conferences are and why you should attend. Information on hosting a conference can also be found on this tab.
- AZAD Board: The board tab has information on contacting the board, meeting notes from past board meetings, information about what the board does and a list of current board members.
- Board News: This is an archive of news updates that are pushed to the front page.
- Current Info: This is an archive of the conference and travel pieces that are pushed to the front page.
- Past Conferences and Papers: This archive presents conference proceedings from 1999 to present day. Some conferences have complete archives of papers presented, and others only have partial archives available. Clicking on each menu item will bring you to the conference’s logo, a list of paper topics and often the delegate meeting minutes for that conference. In addition, there is a menu item for an index of all past papers has conference papers indexed loosely by topic. Papers are displayed in HTML format, but the user has the option to save them as a PDF or send them to the printer in a printable format.
- Comments: Many of the sections of the AZAD website are commentable. Comments must be approved. Sections that you can leave comments on include conference papers and travel and conference news. This is designed so docents can continue the conversation after the conference and add to the information or request new information.